[NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 5 09:35:36 EDT 2003

At 07:55 AM 6/5/2003 -0400, Jim wrote:
>When this subject came up briefly a year or so ago I cut down the 15 "wild"
>pears growing in my pastures.  They were very thorny, lot of flowers,
>virtually no fruit that I could discern, up to 6 inches in trunk diameter.
>I see several along other farm fields in the Spring.

Jim,
Did you give any thought to limbing them up and topworking to good fruiting
selections?  I'd be inclined to do that if(or when) they start popping up
in my pastures, but then, I guess I'd have to be concerned about choke or
rumen overload, when the cows start eating the fruits that drop to the ground.

So far, I'm only seeing a few 'escapee' pear seedlings in town, but with
Cleveland Select, Aristocrat, and the other 'new' callery pear varieties
becoming more and more available, as folks replace some of their aging,
self-destructing Bradfords with these other clones, I expect to see more
and more in more far-flung areas.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY