[NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species

Moyer, Richard ramoyer at king.edu
Wed Jun 4 10:08:51 EDT 2003

Concern has been expressed in midAtlantic about thorny pear seedlings taking
over the landscape, creating thorny thickets in unmowed areas.  This is now
occurring on my campus, where our Bradfords have crossed with ornamental
pears in the neighborhood, and we now are on pear seedling patrol.
Unfortunately, fruit from these tends to be very small and inedible.
They do make a fine rootstock for edible pears, and depending on location,
are easily moved when small.

See this link:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mc/services/dep/landscape/pears.htm