[NAFEX] pears with thorns?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 4 09:24:44 EDT 2003

At 12:08 AM 6/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Lucky: thanks for your reply, wasnt sure if this tree was a hybrid between
>a hawthorn or some other thorned relative.
Hawthorn is not outside the realm of possibility, but a cross with one of
the callery pears would be more likely.  Or, the serrated leaf may just be
a juvenile trait on this one, and even seedlings of P.communis are often
quite thorny.

I've seen almost no fireblight on my pears this year, but the last two have
been pretty tough on some of them, as well as some of the really FB-prone
apples.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY