[NAFEX] Surround Mixing Tips

John.Mosko at engelhard.com John.Mosko at engelhard.com
Mon Jun 2 11:36:59 EDT 2003

Hi Ted,

Below  is an excerpt from the Surround label.  Following this, I have never
had  a  clog in a hand-held sprayer in my five years as a hobby orchardist.
This  section  is  a  key tip ----Add SURROUND WP powder into ¼ to ½ of the
water  that  will be used in the batch to allow adequate space for vigorous
shaking.   Allow Surround to wet and sink into the water slowly.  It is not
recommended  to  fill  with  a  hose or shake the container while powder is
floating on top of the water.----

Let  the powder wet-out gradually into the water.  You can rock the sprayer
a  bit but don't let water splash on top of the floating powder.  That will
make lumps.

For  backpacks, it may be best to do the procedure in a bucket using a hand
drill paint mixer.  Pour into the sprayer - through a screen if possible.

Good luck.

John

For Non-agitating Sprayer Tanks, Such as Handheld and Backpack Sprayers

The following mixing sequence must be followed:

1.    Use SURROUND WP powder at a rate of ¼ to ½ lb of SURROUND WP powder
per one gallon of water.  One-half pound is approximately 3 cups.  For
sprayers difficult to shake, premix in a 5 gallon bucket per the directions
below and pour suspension into sprayer.

2.    Add SURROUND WP powder into ¼ to ½ of the water that will be used in
the batch to allow adequate space for vigorous shaking.  Allow Surround to
wet and sink into the water slowly.  It is not recommended to fill with a
hose or shake the container while powder is floating on top of the water.

3.    Mix  thoroughly  by  shaking  the  closed container vigorously for 30
seconds.

4.   Add tank mix pesticides, if any.

5.    Add the remainder of the batch water and shake the closed container
for an additional 30 seconds.

6.   Shake the sprayer occasionally during application.

7.    At the end of the application, spray until empty and flush system and
   nozzles  or,  blow  air  pressure out of the line and nozzle (usually by
   upending)  and  store in a cool place. Apply the leftover mix within two
   to three weeks to avoid spoilage. Rinse the sprayer and allow to air-dry
   before the next batch.

                      "ted siegan"
                      <tedsiegan at hotmail.c        To:       nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
                      om>                         cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  [NAFEX] surround application
                      nafex-bounces at lists.
                      ibiblio.org

                      05/31/2003 10:36 AM
                      Please respond to
                      North American Fruit
                      Explorers

Has anyone else had difficulty applying Surround ( the organic, clay powder
used on fruit trees)? Both sprayers I have tryed have clogged very quickly.
I have used 1/2 lb per gallon as per Plants Alive and each pressurized
sprayer has clogged. Is there a trick that I don't know? Shoud I just dump
some Surround in my manual duster and say the heck with water? After all
lately it rains every day anyway.

ted siegan, zone 6

Arlington, Ma

Most questions can be answered here: