[NAFEX] Strawberries, First season

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Jun 2 08:01:19 EDT 2003

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 06:47 PM, Dylan Ford wrote:

> Daer Folks,   I planted some strawberries this Spring, four varieties,
> and
> not all that long ago. Almost all of the plants are presenting
> blossoms, and
> I don't recall that happening in the past from first year plants. Is
> this
> typical? For the longterm health of the plants should one prevent them
> from
> fruiting the first season? Thanks.   dylan

Yes, it's typical. If they're Junebearers, I'd pinch the blossoms off
the first spring -- go through now, and again in a week or two as there
may be more. This will let the plants develop better, and this year's
fruit (on Junebearers) would probably not be much good anyway as the
plants are most likely too small to support the crop.

If they're day neutral or everbearing varieties, as I think Doreen's
Tristar and Ozark Beauty are, you don't need to pinch blossoms all
season, just for I think about six weeks aftr planting (I don't grow
these types, so defer to advice from those who do), and you can then let
them bear later in the season when the plants are better established.

Rivka
Finger Lakes NY zone 5 mostly