[NAFEX] Re: Red Rabbiteye Blueberry Leaves

Don Yellman dyellman at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 15:11:07 EDT 2003

longdistshtr wrote:
> Seems like I read somewhere that Rabbiteye Blueberries were discovered
> in Georgia years ago.
> Mine have always produced leaves that are about the color of Silver
> Dollar Eucalyptus leaves (dusky light green).  They turn reddish around
> November or December kinda like FireThorn and about the same color
> (bright scarlet). I have had at least two plants which exhibit chlorosis
> (very light yellowish green) regularly and don't respond to sulphur,
> peat, wood ashes, or azalea fertilizer. They look healthy and produce
> berries.  I thought the trace elements would be a furnished by the
> azalea fertilizer but after it produced no color change, I just quit
> trying.  The soil is about 6.6 pH.
> Northern Blueberries survive here but don't produce enough for the space
> or care.
> I have Brightwell, Woodard, Tifblue,  Blue Ray(highbush), Climax and
> Blue Crop (northern) and can't tell them apart. Nursery descriptions are
> written by folks with vivid imaginations. I'm culling out the Blue Ray
> and Blue Crop this year.
> It may be that the red color of leaves is due to some nutrient
> deficiency up there.  May be that they like lousy soil or fire ant
> excrement.
> Doc Lisenby
> Zone 7/8 (SC)

> File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary files, plain text ONLY!
> Message archives are here:
> To view your user options go to:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX at XXXX is
> YOUR email address)
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

Doc:

If you want to get that soil PH down below 6.6, try iron sulfate.  Wood
ashes are highly alkaline, and would have the opposite effect.  I never
got much effect out of sulfur or aluminum sulfate, which can also turn
you into a partly aluminum person when you eat the berries.  Mulching
with pine needles is also a good practice with blueberries.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA