[NAFEX] Transplanting Kiwi Vine

Kiwi Korners kiwikrnr at sunlink.net
Tue Apr 29 15:11:52 EDT 2003

Dear Charlie,

Not knowing the age, or the trunk circumference of your "found" hardy kiwi vine, rule of thumb for an arbor planting is as follows:

Look for two good sized shoots ( one right and one left ) at the five to six foot level which you can use for two cordons and cut off the trunk & growth above them.  If you can't locate shoots for existing cordons, you can just cut the vine off at the desired height.

Probe a diameter for the plant's roots as a good number of the roots will be a fine net system just below the surface.  If the plant is older, excavate slowly to locate tap roots.  You may need a machine i.e. small backhoe.

It's always better when transplanting to have a larger amount of root system than top growth.

Make the new plant hole one third larger than the root ball.  Plant the vine in a well drained area with full sun and make certain you water it all summer if needed.

Good luck.

Kiwi Korners
www.kiwiberry.com

Charlie Knoles wrote:

Hi everyone,

   I recently found a long neglected and very obviously unwanted mature
Hardy Kiwi vine in the trailer park where I live and I want to transplant
it to another location before someone comes along and destroys it.

   I have never transplanted any mature plants before and would like advice
on the proper way to do this.

Charlie Knoles
Fairfield IA
Zone 5