[NAFEX] pushing buds on my grape cuttings

Jay Anderson jay at jayanderson.com
Sun Apr 20 23:04:33 EDT 2003

Whoop! Whoop! I"ve got leaves.

This is my first time at propagation grapes and i"ve had great fortune
so far. Out of 81 cuttings I've lost only 2. The cuttings were taken and
planted in mid March which is normally a bit late, but this year our
spring has been late. They are in my garden about 6 inches apart from
each other until next spring when I'll put them out in the soon to be
orchard/vineyard. The only soil amendments were a sprinkling of lime and
a bit of composted cow manure as a top dressing.

Where I helped prune these grapes they are planted 8 feet apart and
trained double stemmed to 5 feet; then normally 2 branches coming off
each stem. I'm thinking I'll do the same, but may try a single stem on
some.  They also prune back hard each spring for quality production. The
grapes are Buchenneaurs, Stubbins and Videls. I'm spelling these based
on how the elderly gentlemen pronounced them. He wasn't sure of the
correct spelling either. If anyone is aware of their correct spelling I
would appreciate the heads up.

Any recommendations regarding first year pruning? On some of these
cuttings I have 2 to 3 buds coming and am wondering if I should limit to
the lowest buds or wait to see which are strongest.  And also summer
pruning on first year vines? I have now idea if I should  and if so how.

All in all I'm very pleased with how cooperative nature is being. I hope
it is this fall with pear cuttings.
Thanks!

Rondi
SE Kansas Zone 6
And had a second tornado watch for the season. :-P