[NAFEX] Replanting [was: multiple apple cultivars on one tree?]

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 09:53:00 EDT 2003

One of the last pesticide meetings I went to discussed
replanting issues.  Its become a major problem as growers
cannot afford to leave the land fallow as recommended.
Some of the pictures were quite dramatic.  Even where the tree
doesn't die, its regrowth can be severely stunted.  The most
effective solution is soil sterilization, but it is expensive,
toxic, and the industry standard chemical is being phased out
because of new EPA standards.

The problems are caused by nematodes and viruses (often
carried by said nematodes).  One low input idea I latched onto
was that marigolds have anti-nematodal properties.  So I plan
to plant marigold seeds where I had some trees that I'm
planning to replant next year.  Linda, if you haven't already
replanted, it might be something to try, or if you have maybe
some marigolds underneath it would help.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N    75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

<<I expect you're right.  Nonetheless, I don't regret doing it.  I had
fun grafting.  I got most of my grafts to "take".  And on the other
tree, I appear to have 5 healthy apple cultivars on a healthy tree.
That's five more cultivars than I would have had room to plant on their
own roots.  I'm not looking for grat production from them, just the
chance to taste fresh some unusual apples that can't be purchased
locally.  If I get fruits within a few years, it will definitely have
been worthwhile.  And the dead crab left behind a place to put an
eating apple.  (And if that one dies of replant problems, I suppose I
can always add a lilac or something.)