[NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?

kathryn stout kathrynwrites at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 17:14:29 EDT 2003

Which cultivars grow faster and more vigorously? Or
where to look up that information? If it is the
cultivar, and this info is known and available, then
perhaps I can anticipate it--plan where to graft what
varieties, so my tree does not become so misshapen or
unbalanced.
Right now I am about to graft six:
Gravenstein (I've read is very vigorous)
Black Oxford
Cox Orange Pippin (probably not very vigorous here in
W. Mass, an English apple known for preferring cool or
water-side climates)
Golden Russet
Esophus Spitzenberg
Northern Spy (vigorous, I think--also known for taking
a long time to bear)

Can you tell me more about the relative vigor of these
varieties, or what reference would list vigor of apple
varieties??
I have only space for one tree, so to try multiple
varieties I have to graft. (Learn--I did have success
bud-grafting apricot, using RJ Garner's book--but this
is my first time grafting apple--dormant scion wood on
a just-beginning-to-grow tree.)

Kathryn
Zone 5

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX