[NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?

kathryn stout kathrynwrites at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 16:53:51 EDT 2003

I got a Liberty on Geneva 30 rootstock for the express
purpose of creating a multiple graft tree. I told Jim
Cummins of Cummins Nursery that was what I want to do.
He recommended the G-30 rootstock as virus resistant.
There are places like the scion wood repository in
Washington State that certify their scion wood as
virus free, but with a virus resistant rootstock I am
not limited to using certified virus-free scionwood.
At least that is my understanding of what Jim Cummins
told me. Is that right?
I for one do not have the space to plant more than one
apple tree, so this is the only way I can have
multiple varieties--just to have a branch of each, a
few apples each would be great for me--to try what I
can't buy.
But I won't offer anyone else scion wood, from my
multiple graft tree (assuming this works and the
grafts take) if there's possibility it could spread
viruses.

Kathryn
Zone 5

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX