[NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon Apr 21 16:47:10 EDT 2003

But why on earth would you stick your finger in a bee's nest?  I say
the first bumblebee of the season yesterday - just in time for
forsythia and cornus mas, and some early dandelions.  They were watched
me with interest as I planted some pansies, as did some big flies that
were colored like bees.  I expect they will be on the job as soon as
the blueberry blossoms open, which should only take a few more warm
days.

I used to catch bees in glass bottles for sport as a kid.  I once
"rescues" one from a spider's web and carefully removed all the silk
from its wings.  I work around bumblebees in my garden all the time -
they are assiduous pollinators of my raspberries, and often work the
blooms as I pick the berries.  I suppose you can aggravate them enough
to get stung, but they count as "docile" in my book, and I'm happy to
have them around.

Now yellowjackets are nasty.

Ginda