[NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown

kathryn stout kathrynwrites at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 23:09:14 EDT 2003

I never sprayed my cherry trees for any insect, except
to use a hard spray of water against black aphids on
sweet cherry. I did have grubs of plum circulio in
some cherries (characteristic half-moon scar of
circulio on the fruit). The Starkrimson sweet was
affected worse than the Montmorency. I got a lot of
Montmorency that were okay. I theorized that the
circulio didn't like sour fruit as much. It may have
been also that the sour cherry bloomed (before or
after sweet I can't remember. I cut down my sweet
cherry tree in 2000) later than other fruit trees.
The circulio was more interested in apricot, plum, and
peach that bloomed earlier.
Is there a cherry that ripens its fruit in August?
Does it bloom later than other cherries? Maybe there's
a way to escape the circulios's most active egg-laying
period.
I had some friends who grew Nanking bush cherries. The
cherries were good--tart, like pie cherries, but
edible out of hand. Didn't seem to have any problems
with circulio grubs, or any other insects.
You could always sort out the grub-infested cherries.
If you have circulio the scar is visible on the
outside, and the fruit tends to be misshapen (the grub
eating it, around the pit). Eat the ones that are
perfect on the outside and there's no weevil grub
inside.
Birds are fond of weevil-grub infested cherries. Extra
protein. A treat, to them.

Kathryn\
Zone 5, Massacusetts

--- Greg or Marie Jordan <mgjordan at concentric.net>