[NAFEX] pruning evans

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:47:38 EDT 2003

I am digging and planting out a couple dozen evans cherries this week. I'll
take the advice given here on nafex this winter and plant most on a lean
hilltop (rather than the rich bottom land I had originally intended). I
bought them last year as tiny TC plants - now they are robust 2' high 3/4"
caliper bushes already. Impressive roots as well.  Most  have 2 to 3 main
and equal branches. I know they can be trained as small trees or as bushes,
all I care about is fruit production.
Question: With maximum fruit production in mind - how low would one be best
advised to start branching? or just leave as-is with the multiple stems at
near ground level? thanks much, Del........where the last of the ice just
left the pond and the frog choir has begun.....

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3