[NAFEX] gooseberry question

Judith Miller paradisegds at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 23:15:52 EDT 2003

Can anyone tell me what fruit might be masquerading as a gooseberry?  I got a box of fruit from a friend last summer that she called gooseberries.  Expecting to make pie & fool, I found I was the fool when I got home.  The fruit, though large, translucent, gold & hairy-spiny, was insipid and very seedy.  Nothing like I remember from my childhood.  Was it overripe? Some kind of currant? Or a variety I should avoid?  I do want to plant the real thing and would welcome suggested varieties.Thanks,Judy in rainy north Idaho