[NAFEX] Rhubarb under grapevines

Joe Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Fri Apr 11 19:24:18 EDT 2003

> Light isn't the problem, fertilizer is.  Rhubarb likes LOTS of
fertilizer -
> rotted manure, that sort of thing.  Plant it near the grapes and you
will
> overfertilize them in the process, making them too vigorous and
disrupting
> fruit set.

One of my grape management challenges is too much nutrition.  Nettle
does not grow in N poor environments.  The grape vines are planted on a
lot west of a barn.  Obviously it was used as a corral.

That was one of the factors in my converting to the Geneva Double
Curtain system.  I had to spread out the canopy.  Otherwise it grew so
densely that it could not be penetrated by sun, spray (sorry organic
guys) and drying breezes.

> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com
>
> From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel at voyager.net>
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:51:52 -0400
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Rhubarb under grapevines
>

> Hello:
>
> Does anybody have experience planting rhubarb under grapevines?
>
> I bought a package of rhubarb seed and now have 14 plants.  I am
> looking for a place to put them.  The grapes are primarily French-
> American hybrids trained to Geneva Double Curtain.
>
> It certainly looks like there will be plenty of light until June 15,
or
> so and I much prefer rhubarb to nettles, thistles and catnip that now
> want to grow there.
>
> Any comments or observations will be appreciated.
> --
> Joe Hecksel
> Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel

files,