[NAFEX] planting /sod

paul simon paul.simon at tcs.wap.org
Fri Apr 11 11:34:52 EDT 2003

I only planted 14 trees last fall, but plan on growing them for at
least 20 years. I improved the subsoil down to 24 to 27 inches with
topsoil, very mature compost, and sandy loam, for drainage and slow
release of nutrients. This increased volume for root development
should help support the tree (M-9 apples) physically, and the
increased CEC capacity will act as a nutrient reservoir.

We have to improve and supplement the root zone before we install the
plant, not after the plant has become established. If I could have
gone down 4 feet, I would have. Again, I only planted 14, but I used
the best varieties into a superior growth medium.

I did notice 2 to 4 inches subsidence this spring, but my grafts were
8 - 10 inches from the crown, and in no danger of being buried.

Paul S. zone 7 rose, rainy with temp holding in the 40's.

Chris wrote;