[NAFEX] Graft callusing/Planting Question

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 10:35:58 EDT 2003

When I bench grafted apples and pears this spring, I stored the completed trees in damp woodchips [the roots], covered the container with a large clear plastic bag, under flourescent light at about 65F.  As the pear and apple scions broke dormancy, I've planted the trees either outside [the pears] or in pots [the apples].  The last 3 I planted had significant length to their developing feeder roots.  I have 4 additional trees that are not showing significant signs of growth.  QUESTION:  Should I pull the trees and plant them, or wait until the scions show activity?

This is the method that was shown to me for callusing prunus bench grafts with the exception that the air temp should be higher.  Since the spring here has been cold and very wet, I adapted it for my apple and pear grafts.

TIA for any recommendations.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N    75° 51'W