[NAFEX] planting /sod

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 10:23:46 EDT 2003

I lift the sod, dig my hole, Plant the tree up to the soil level with generally not using the sod (or only taking the lowest root zone.  Then I use the sod (upside down) as the raised ring around the planting hole that many books recommend having for watering.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N    75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

<<Because of our lack of snow the ground is thawing early and I am out tree
planting today. My ideal method of planting is to have killed the sod the
year before with some kind of covering. My real method however, is that that
rarely gets done, so I cut straight down in a circle past the sod (1 meter
dia. in today's instance), then slide the shovel underneath toward the
center just below the grass' roots. I then cut this in half and lift each
slab of sod off to the side, dirt side up. Plant the young tree next,
mounding dirt around it up to ground level.  Then in a couple days the sod
slabs have dried enough I can shake about half of the dirt back where it
came from. In another month or so the sod slabs have dried / died and I put
the half circles, roots up, back in their original place around the tree as
a mulch.
Just curious how other folk do it. Happy planting, Del