[NAFEX] cold temps on new grafts

Kevin Bradley kbradley at ttlc.net
Wed Apr 9 19:50:20 EDT 2003

I grafted a batch of apples, stored them at about 40 to 45 degrees for
about two weeks, planted them out and then we got temps down to the upper
teens on two occassions and the mid twenties on three or four. Any
experiences to say whether or not my grafts will be ok? I should have
heeled soil up around the graft unions to protect them from the cold but
our weather man was way off in his predictions of lows in the upper
twenties, still, I should have known better.
Kevin B