[NAFEX] scion -- best length?

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 8 18:08:14 EDT 2003

About scion length, I would like to hear opinions what length is best.

My usual grafting method is dormant spring saddle grafting.   I like to
work with scions of 5/16" thickness, which is about exactly the size of
a regular no. 2 pencil.

True or False?  It's necessary to have 4 or more inches in scion length
to have energy reserves enough to callus the graft union.  [if so, how
does summer budding work when the scion [in this case just a single bud
with a little wood around it] is capable of uniting with the stock?

True or False?  It's hard for a longer scion to 'take'.

True or False?  A short scion [say, just two inches long] with just one
bud can 'take.'  Can anyone point to any successful or unsuccessful
experiences with grafting with shorter scions?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts