[NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

Gordon Nofs gc_nofs at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 10:42:54 EDT 2003

I wouldn't put this on the sender. They could have been put in a garage or
the house for the cold nights.
  If the plants arrive alive they are your responsibility. No excuses.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI. Z 5
**************************************
From: list at ginda.us
To: Mike Levine <crunchy at oldweb.com>,North American Fruit Explorers
<nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:37:00 -0400

You are in Michigan, in zone 5, and it's barely April.  A reputable  retail
company shouldn't be sending you tender green vines until late  April, or
May, unless you specifically requested it.  If they mostly do  wholesale,
they might be used to shipping to growers with greenhouses.   If this was a
regular retail operation, I would ask them for a refund  or replacement.
I've now bought hundreds of plants, (okay, that  includes bulbs, but dozens
of orders) and have only once asked for a  replacement - the plant was
mislabelled.    So I am not one to rush for  a refund.  But this really
sounds like their fault.

Ginda Fisher

On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 11:07  PM, Mike Levine wrote:

>We have frequent late frosts here too.  Can you or anyone else suggest
>which
>varieties are the latest to leaf out?  I'm determined to grow some  kiwis
>here.
>
>Mike Levine
>Ann Arbor, MI
>Zone 5b