[NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Apr 6 20:57:24 EDT 2003

If they were sold as green tissue culture then I wouldn't expect them to
be hardened. Sometimes nurseries are unclear as to whether they're
selling hardened stock or not; I learned the hard way to check when
ordering as to what exactly I was going to be shipped. I once got some
green tissue culture raspberries, grown in a plug flat like vegetable
transplants; I knew they would be green and tender but expected them to
be shipped still in the flat. Instead they had been emptied out of the
flat and all dumped together into a big plastic bag. The green new
growth had tangled and it was almost impossible to get them out without
damage, and to top it off the weather had turned unexpectedly cold, and
I had no choice but to plant them as I couldn't hold them like that. A
lot of them died, but though I called the nursery about it I didn't
insist on a refund, as I hadn't thought to check just what I'd be
getting.
You can pack dormant tissue culture raspberries like that and they're
fine, as there's no tender new growth to tangle; and if weather isn't
right when they show up just stick them in the refrigerator. Those are
great. I don't know about kiwis.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly