[NAFEX] bleeding grafts

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 23:44:16 EST 2003

I was loaned a wonderful little 1950's book by Carl Weschke 'Growing Nuts in
the North'. He mentions grafting nuts after the leaves start to come out (on
planted trees), but this causes considerable sap bleeding. His method of
getting around this is to cut the rootstock - then wait several days before
commencing with grafting. I am wondering if this might not have merit with
stone fruit like apricots that seem to need higher temperatures to callus? I
remember Bob Purvis saying to graft apricots late to get as much heat as
possible, but not so late that they fill the graft with running sap. 6"snow
today, Del

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3