[NAFEX] Re: Unidentified Fruit

Dan Sorensen dan.phantom at westpa.net
Wed Apr 2 23:12:52 EST 2003

Doc,

Several years ago I was spending some time with a family in southern
Mexico.  One day the husband took me out in the backyard to show me his
fruit trees.  He showed me two that I thought he called "chico sapote" that
he was quite proud of.  I later learned they were  Manilkara zapota, a
native of Yucatan and southern Mexico, also called "chicle" for the rich
supply of chicle, used in chewing gum, they produce when tapped.  I now
have two 12 inch specimens in my greenhouse started from seed I received
from  California Rare Fruit Growers seed bank, so although they will only
grow outdoors in climates like south Florida in this country, at least one
person is growing them in Pennsylvania.

If you really want a lot of info on this plant check this link:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/nexus/Manilkara_zapota_nex.html

Dan

At 12:44 PM 4/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>mIEKAL aND directed me to a site which described it perfectly.
>Seems that it is Sapodilla, Latin name-Manilkara zapoda,
>Family-Sapotaceae. Except in Florida, I guess it isn't grown here in N.
>America. Thanks Mike.
>Doc Lisenby
>Zone 7/8

>File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary
>files, plain text ONLY!
>Message archives are here:
>To view your user options go to:
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX at XXXX is
>YOUR email address)
>NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Dan Sorensen                               Visit my Experimental Gardening
Website at:
RD2 Box 57                                  http://phantom.home.westpa.net/
Russell, PA 16345                          Northwestern Pennsylvania  USDA
Zone 5
dan.phantom at westpa.net              Penn State Master Gardener & Ham Radio-
WB8VEF