[NAFEX] Lichens on trees

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Wed Apr 2 18:34:52 EST 2003

I'm not sure why lichens would indicate anything about the nutrition of
the tree.  They grow on surfaces that are rough enough to anchor them,
and that get enough water and light to keep them growing.  If you think
they are ugly, try rubbing them off.

Lichens seem pretty common on mature oaks.  You don't see them so much
on young oaks, either because the bark is smoother, or because there
just hasn't been enough time for them to get established.  They usually
grow slowly.

Ginda