[NAFEX] apricot

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Apr 2 08:23:55 EST 2003

I have Harlayne. Harogem, Goldcot, and Hargrand apricots planted. These
have suffered from wildly erratic weather (including several years of
severe drought with little to no irrigation water available, and several
winters/springs of wildly oscillating temperatures, in a location
borderline for apricot), and also from my
ignorance/incompetence/neglect. They are under organic management, but I
knew little about growing tree fruits when I planted them, and since
then have been concentrating mostly on the vegetable crops and
strawberries. Many of the trees have died. The best survivors are
Harlayne and Goldcot, but flavor on the Goldcot here is so poor they're
not worth picking, totally bland and mushy texture. The flavor on
Harlayne is fantastic, and my opinion of the others' flavor may suffer
from the comparison. They all seem to pollinate fine, though at this
point some of the surviving trees are 25' or more from their nearest
neighbors. We get a variety of pollinating insects; I don't know what
all of them are, but they include honeybee, what I'm fairly sure is
orchard mason bee, and some that look like small flies.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly