[NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:06:40 EST 2003

Lon,
this sounds just like a couple species of exotic buckthorns taking over s.WI
(and the rest of the midwest?)  I don't have the latin names in front of me;
I always get the common & latin names of the 2 mis-matched.
Seed of the one is strongly purgative to birds, also to people.  Pretty much
unpalatable for people, but the birds seem to love them.

There's also a native species of buckthorn, a marsh shrub.

tc