[NAFEX] rubber constrictors

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:00:48 EST 2003

>Ouch.  Have you ever tried grafting w/ rubber electrician's splicing tape?
>It seals against itself but also degrades quickly enough to free up the
>girth.  After trying other tapes, wraps, straps, & grafting waxes, I now
>use R.E.S.T. only.

I only used rubber bands the first year, have tried cheap (75 cent) plastic
electric tape from the farm store, is REST something special?
It would be nice if it came narrower than 3/4. Constricted grafts are one
hazard of using seedling rootstock - where the idea is to bury the graft.
The sun never sees the graft union. In the case of the pear the graft was
not buried deep enough to self-root either.  Del