[NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)

Dr. Ethan Natelson natelson at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 1 20:48:31 EST 2003

Dear Group,

     I was looking through "Pomona in Review, The First Year", and came
across an article by one of the founders of NAFEX, Milo Gibson.  He comments
concerning a grafting technique, "The only luck the writer has had putting
variety jujube on seedling jujube or on Cascara sagrada, a cousin of the
jujube, has been with this graft".  According to a reference source I have,
Cascara sagrada (also called bearberry, which is a name also applied to
certain Haws) is a type of Buckthorn (Rhamnus purshiana syn. Frangula
purshiana).  Does anyone know if, indeed, jujube is compatible with it as a
rootstock and, if so, any nursery that carries this plant?  The laxative
cascara, apparently comes from its seeds.

Ethan Natelson
Houston, Texas