[NAFEX] rubber constrictors

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 17:12:56 EST 2003

I have been giving my young orchard its first haircut today - after 3
orchardist friends gave me their varied pruning opinions, what a great
feeling. Each tree has been inside a 16" diameter chicken wire cage,
somehwhat deformed, but they missed deer depradation until I could get up a
fence. I was pruning my one prize 4' high Ure pear (on ussuriensis) and it
broke off at the graft, almost effortlessly. Not a happy moment! Sure
enough, there was a single remnant of rubber band completely encircling the
graft. Lesson learned, now I have lots of Ure scionwood to play with, Del

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3