[NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 3, Issue 2

Richard J. Ossolinski osso at acadia.net
Tue Apr 1 15:00:10 EST 2003

Robert,
Each of the "just a Red Delicious" trees I inherited with this place is now
producing savory and desirable varieties.  If yours is not too old or too
large I'd suggest radical surgery (after all, you did say you were
contemplating "cutting it to the ground," no?)
Suggestion/proposal: cut off the entire trunk at a foot or two above the
ground, and bark graft more desirable varieties onto it.  The
existing/established root system should work to your advantage and produce
fruit (of your choice) in short order.  I have been doing this for myself and
for clients for many years, and have yet to encounter failure.  Just a thought.
Richard

 I should probably