[NAFEX] Bramley Apple Information?

Sam Brungardt sam739is at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 30 10:10:12 EST 2002

Rodney, this is what Roger Yepsen had to say about Bramley's Seedlling in
his book, "Apples,":

"Two hundred years ago young Mary Ann Brailsford placed a pip in a pot.  The
seeling that sprouted forth came to be known as Bramley's Seedling,
England's best baking apple...

"Eaten fresh, Bramley's is firm, juicy, an piquantly acidic, and the tart
juice (high in vitamin C) is a lively addition to cider blends.  In recent
years the variety has seen new interest in North America.

"Apples are picked from October through early November.  They keep well but
ovger time will secrete a remarkably slick, greasy coat that can be rather
unpleasant to the touch."

And in his "Apples for the 21st Century," Warren Manhart says that Bramley
is a triploid (so one should not depend on it as a pollenizer) cooking
apple; the tree is vigorous, with thick, rigid stems; and an annual bearer.
"I suggest growing it in zones 5 through 6.  Buds and Blossoms are very
frost susceptible.  One source is Southmeadow Fruit Gardens."

"Size of the apple is large to very large.  Shape is flat-round to round and
sometimes ribbed.  Skin color is green unless picked quite ripe, in
mid-October here in Oregon.  then it is brownish-orange with little green
showing....Flavor is very sharp and acid unless quite ripe.  Drops badly if
overset and quite ripe; pick before then.  Storage is not over two months in
32 degrees F.  I suggest freezing or canning them before Christmas."

Manhart continues to say that Bramleys have "an extra-acid apple taste that
comes through the sugar in pies and sauce."  He also says it is almost
immune to apple scab, and also resistant to cedar apple rust, fireblight and
powdery mildew.

Manhart advises training the limbs early, before they become thick and
stiff, lest they break, rather then bend, in two or three years.

"If the tree's disease resistance is not important in your climate and you
seldom make apple sauce or pie, perhaps you would not plant this
cultivar...."

"

"