[NAFEX] Black Gold Cherry (source?)

Sam Brungardt sam739is at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 30 09:39:21 EST 2002

>From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland at WYOMING.com>
>To: Nafex <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Subject: [NAFEX] Black Gold Cherry (source?)
>Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 19:45:04 -0700
>
>This cherry has been getting accolades lately and I would like to get
>some on dwarfing rootstocks. Raintree had them. Then the price went up
>and now they are no longer avail.
>
>Cornell is quite proud of them (Black and White Gold).
>Their press release is at
>http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/current/2cherries02.html
>
>Although I live in zone 3 many zone 4 plants have done well around here
>and if Global Warming is a reality I'm already in zone 4 so I want to
>enjoy it while I can.
Rodney, I suspect that Raintree will sell Black Gold and White Gold again.
I think that they sold of Black Gold last spring, because they only listed
White Gold in their fall catalog (being a white cherry, it may not have sold
as well as Black Gold).

  I have my doubts, though, whether either Black Gold or White Gold will do
well in zone 3.  Perhaps the warmer half of Zone 4 would be okay.

Another source of these two new cherries is J.W. Jung Seed Co., 335 S. High
St., Randolph, WI 53957--0001 (phone 1-800-247-5864).  or go to
www.jungseed.com .  I've been doing business with this firm for a number of
years and they are very reliable and service-oriented.--Sam Brungardt, St.
Paul, MN (zone 4b)