[NAFEX] Pear rootstock

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 29 18:46:54 EST 2002

My "off the Cuff" reaction is the different drought tolerance.  My soil is
on the poor sandy side.  This year was pretty dry, and I watched the leaves
gradually fall off the topwork, bare by early August.  However, as I did my
autumn rounds, I found a nice 18" sprout-- still with leaves, from below the
graft.  (Tree is in a spot where day-to-day I would see a big defoliation,
but wouldn't see the more reserved lower growth.)

If the OHxF has limited drought tolerance, would it reject the top work but
grow its own ?  And hey I wish this pear would grow on the OHxF's, because
of all those advantages !  I would like to propagate this pear onto
something which will last !

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, zone 5 air, zone 4 soil