[NAFEX] pear rootstocks

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 11:30:03 EST 2002

I assume from the replies so far that you are somewhere in Zone 7 (???).
 I have numerous cultivars grafted on OHxF 51 in Zone 7 (N. GA
Appalachian foothills).  It is definitely my favorite pear rootstock.  I
have lost none (out of 20 or so) to fireblight in the last ca. 20 years
since I planted my first 51 graft.  That's not to say that none of the
scions died.  All 3 Harvest Queen's died, but the advance of the blight
stopped at the 51 junction and the rootstock sprouted out heatlhy new
growth.  With no pruning, it makes a tree about 50% of standard in that
region.  They can easily be kept smaller.  Before I wax poetic any
longer about this stock, I should add that I know of no supplier for it.
 I have heard that rootstock producers don't like it because it is
relatively difficult to get many stocks per mother plant, so they
stopped producing it years ago.
I also have multiple trees on each of the following stocks:
P. calleryana (excellent stock for Zone 7, if you don't mind a larger tree)
Angers quince (30-40% standard, but I don't recommend it, if it even
smells blight, the whole tree is dead)
Provence quince (40-50% standard, for some reason, I've not have much
blight loss of these  Jim Lawson recently told me that he sees little
blight on this stock in the nursery)
P. communis seedling (big tree, blight=dead, don't like it)

I have very limited experience with 513 in Zone 8, so I can't add much
except they haven't croaked in their first year.

Hope this helps,

Anton