[NAFEX] ORGANIC GRAPES

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Sun Nov 24 10:07:18 EST 2002

Here in WI it takes 3 years before your land can be certified organic
via OCIA.  If you are really interested it would be best to make your
design & get your plantings in place, locate your area certification
agency & begin the process.  most probably you will not want to certify
the whole of your land, just the area you will be growing on.  Now that
the new Organic Standards are out & in operation, a lot of what is
organic & what isnt is shifting around, so that would effect each
winery differently I imagine.  In order to put the new USDA
certification seal on yr product it needs to be 95% organic.

Here in WI they scared up a bunch of grant money to give growers
startup money to create small scale vinyards.  I attended a tour &
meeting & lost interest pretty quickly when they kept talked about 2-4D
drift.  There were a number of others there who were also doing the
project organically which had the same reaction, so possibly all the
organic folks may pool together.

A number of the growers here have gone into this completely cold, some
growing grapes as the first thing they have grown, so Lon's book will
be indispensible for folks who are just starting out & need all this
info under one cover.

mIEKAL