[NAFEX] juice grape observation....

Ginda Kaplan Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Nov 23 23:02:34 EST 2002

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 12:26  PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

> the server is doing something weird.. I sent this message a month ago
> & now its coming thru.  where can I find  out more about ice wine, Ive
> heard passing references to this for years.  Lon?
I just got a couple of old messages, too.  I think I got some of them
before, though.  Weird

> by the way, I just got Lon's new book in the mail & I would say that
> if your doing organic grapes this is a must have.  the kind of book
> that makes you wish for a really cold winter day where you can't do
> anything else but read.  Im gonna recommend this to all the organic
> grape growers in my area.
>
> mIEKAL

Me, too.  I'm about half way through it.  I think I've read all the
parts that will be useful to me, but it's just so much fun to read.  So
I'm learning about growing grapes in difficult climates, etc., despite
living in an easy climate for lots of grapes.

The section on cultivation and pruning is especially good.  I've read
about 8 sets of instructions about "how to prune grapes" and every
other one says "do it this way".  That didn't work for me, because I
wanted to train my vine over an ornamental arch.  This book says
"here's the main goal, here are other goals you might have, and here's
what you do to meet those various goals.  Now I feel I know what I
ought to do.  I also know that I may run into trouble because my
growing area may be too small, but at least I understand the issues,
and should be able to make the best of what I have.  I also now have a
theory of why my vine hasn't fruited yet (likely too much nitrogen).

Thanks, Lon,

Ginda

Eastern Mass., zone 6