[NAFEX] last meteor storm(off topic)

Steve N. Dulaney dulaney at wvi.com
Sat Nov 16 17:18:13 EST 2002

Hello,

Yes, the Leonids do come every year, but the shower is very weak and
irregular.  This year should be a nice meteor storm, that is, over 1000
meteors per hour.  Current prediction models are expecting around 2500
meteors per hour here on the west coast.  Last year's storm was
spectacular, I observed about 2000 meteors per hour practically out my
back door.  Some friends who ventured over onto the dry side of Oregon
observed in excess of 3000 meteors per hour.  That is almost a meteor
every second.  Due gravitational perturbations of the dust trails by
Jupiter, this will be the last storm we can expect for 99 years.  Try
this web site for the latest prediction:

  http://www.ursa.fi/ursa/jaostot/meteorit/leoeng02.html

Regards,
Steve N. Dulaney