[NAFEX] sugarberry

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Fri Nov 15 11:22:53 EST 2002

Thanks for information about the butterflies.

I found another web page that addresses the usefulness of sugar/hackberry
http://www.cobjon.com/basics.html
"The Elm family, Ulmaceae, offers the genus Celtis, whose species produce a
nutlet. The whole nut with its outer husk is sweet. It is easily ground into
meal, and cooked in various ways, as was done by native peoples."
This is a good use of this fruit.  The nutlet contains both protein and oil,
and the fleshy covering over it provides a little sweetness.

-Mark