[NAFEX] raspberry fool

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 14 23:10:54 EST 2002

Raspberries are usually at their best in a bed with lots of organic matter,
preferably in the form of a heavy mulch.  That helps in several ways.
First, it keeps the moisture more constant - raspberries are apt to have
flavor problems more often if they get water stressed.  Second, and about as
important, the organic matter feeds the soil life, which helps the berries a
lot.  The best raspberries I ever saw were regularly mulched to six inches
deep, or more, with horse bedding, which was mostly sawdust and horse
manure.  The patch was like walking on a giant sponge.  Canes were 8 feet
tall and the berries were measured in pounds.  They were the best Heritage
raspberries I've had, and Heritage is not as high flavored as a lot of other
varieties.