[NAFEX] raspberry fool

Dylan Ford dford at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Thu Nov 14 22:33:36 EST 2002

In my second year in a new garden, I was offered red raspberry suckers by a
friend who was moving, and who raved about her raspberries. I am not very
familiar with red raspberries, and she couldn't provide a varietal name, but
I took a chance. The second year, in spite of droughty conditions the plants
came up strong and provided a reasonable crop of berries, the flavor of
which ranged from insipid to unpleasant. Before I rip these canes out and
start over, could a deficiency of something in the soil be responsible for
the disappointing flavor? Thanks. dylan