[NAFEX] sugarberry

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Nov 14 12:56:02 EST 2002

At 08:30 AM 11/14/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone have experience using Celtis occidentalis, sugarberry, as an
>edible?

Mark,
I'd learned C.occidentalis as hackberry, and C.laevigata as
sugarberry.  Don't know if there's a significant difference in fruit/seed
size or quality/taste, but I've also sampled hackberry fruits, and didn't
find much about it to recommend it as an edible either.
But, I'm not a bird.

I will have to say that while I've seen plenty of C.occidentalis, I've
never knowingly encountered C.laevigata.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY