[NAFEX] Antique Apples for Antietam

Don Yellman dyellman at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 12:02:52 EST 2002

Gordon:

There is an item in the Washington Post of Nov. 12 about the replanting
of apples near the Antietam battlefield in Southern Maryland.  Antietam
is said to have been the single bloodiest battle of the Civil War.
According to the article, varieties to be planted are Baldwin, English
Russet, Fornwalder, Gilpin, Jefferis, Maidenblush, McLellan, and
Northern Spy, a total of 350 trees.  The article says the trees are
sourced from Michigan, but they don't say where.  My guess would be
Southmeadow.  They don't say whether the trees will be standards, but I
suppose so if they want to be authentic.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA