[NAFEX] Bearing Age of Date Trees

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 10 21:51:48 EST 2002

That's actually true, FROM SEED, but not for all dates.  The 80 years to
bearing is the upper extreme, though many take 20 years or more to bear from
seed.  That's one reason dates are grown from offshoots (called pups) of
bearing trees - offshoots come into bearing sooner.  The California Rare
Fruit Growers have had some very good articles on dates, just a couple of
issues back.  Go to http://www.crfg.org to find out when the article was in
the magazine.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on The Grape Grower at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com