[NAFEX] Bearing Age of Date Trees

Phil Norris cousinphil at acadia.net
Sun Nov 10 16:57:42 EST 2002

My neighbor came over today with a story about a certain kind of date
tree that takes 80 years to bear fruit.  The story illustrated how
important knowledge is passed from generation to generation in some
cultures.

Before I could stop myself I found myself doubting the validity of the
story.  I really don't know but it seems against the very nature of the
plant kingdom for any species to take 80 year to mature.

Anyone know of any plant that takes that long to bear fruit?

Phil Norris
Clayfield Farm
East Blue Hill ME
Z4