[NAFEX] Favorite Pruning Book

Suzi Teghtmeyer srt175f at smsu.edu
Thu Nov 7 18:33:49 EST 2002

John,
I'd recommend the book Pruning Simplified by Lewis Hill [Storey Books;
ISBN: 0882664174; Updated edition (August 1986)].

The Table of Contents for fruits includes:

Chapter 10: Pruning Fruit Trees
Reasons for pruning
         Central leader
         Modified leader
         Open center
When to prune
         Lorette pruning
Winter injury and sunscald
         Pruning in snow country
Pruning dwarf trees
Dwarfing a full-size tree
Pruning to make trees bear
The old orchard
Pruning sanitation
Cutting grafting wood
Pruning spur-type fruit trees
Pruning a 5-in-1 fruit tree
Commercial orchards
Apple
Apricot
Cherry
Citrus fruit
Fig
Peach and nectarine
Pear
Plum
Quince
Tropical and semitropical fruit

Other chapter cover "Pruning small fruits," "Pruning nut trees," "Pruning
vines and groundcovers," and "Artistic pruning," to mention a
few.  Illustrations use color to show what to prune and often have before
and after pictures.

The book is a paperback and the list price is $16.95 - very reasonable for
the price, and cheaper from online bookstores.  Amazon.com has it set up to
where you can look at some of the pages.

----Suzi Teghtmeyer

At 04:46 PM 11/05/2002 -0500, John Bunker wrote:
>We're looking for the best all-purpose fruit tree pruning book to offer in
>the Fedco catalog.  It has to be in print (of course).   Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>
>John Bunker
>Fedco
>zone 4
>Palermo Maine

Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit
Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646,  email: srt175f at smsu.edu
AgNIC Viticulture site: http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD