[NAFEX] bugbear virus

Bob Kelly Bkelly66 at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 7 11:08:48 EST 2002

      Derry, here is what the Snope site says.  Hope it helps.

      Bob

      Virus name:   Bugbear (also known as Tanatos).

      Origins:   Bugbear is a mass-mailing worm that, once it infects a
target system, can log keystrokes, enable a backdoor trojan, and stop
antivirus and firewall programs. It replicates itself by sending out e-mail
to addresses harvested from infected systems using subject lines such as the
following:

        a.. 25 merchants and rising
        b.. Announcement
        c.. bad news
        d.. CALL FOR INFORMATION!
        e.. click on this!
        f.. Correction of errors
        g.. Cows
        h.. Daily Email Reminder
        i.. empty account
        j.. fantastic
        k.. free shipping!
        l.. Get 8 FREE issues - no risk!
        m.. Get a FREE gift!
        n.. Greets!
        o.. Hello!
        p.. Hi!
        q.. history screen
        r.. hmm..
        s.. I need help about script!!!
        t.. Interesting...
        u.. Introduction
        v.. its easy
        w.. Just a reminder
        x.. Lost & Found
        y.. Market Update Report
        z.. Membership Confirmation
        aa.. My eBay ads
        ab.. New bonus in your cash account
        ac.. New Contests
        ad.. new reading
        ae.. News
        af.. Payment notices
        ag.. Please Help...
        ah.. Re: $150 FREE Bonus!
        ai.. Report
        aj.. SCAM alert!!!
        ak.. Sponsors needed
        al.. Stats
        am.. Today Only
        an.. Tools For Your Online Business
        ao.. update
        ap.. various
        aq.. Warning!
        ar.. wow!
        as.. Your Gift
        at.. Your News Alert
      The messages sent out by Bugbear can exploit vulnerabilities in some
versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook that enable it
to execute automatically when an infected e-mail is viewed. You can protect
your PC from infection by Bugbear by downloading and installing the
preventive patches offered by Microsoft for these security holes in
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-027 and the Cumulative Patch for Internet
Explorer Q323759.

      If your system has already been infected by Bugbear, a removal tool
can be obtained from the Symantec or from F-Secure.

      See the links below for more information on how to detect and remove
Bugbear.

      Additional information:       W32.Bugbear at mm
            (Symantec Security Response)
                Bugbear
            (F-Secure)
                W32/Bugbear at MM
            (McAfee Virus Information Library)
                More articles about Bugbear
      Last updated:   7 October 2002

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/bugbear.htm
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend
Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995