[NAFEX] Organic scionwood?

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Nov 6 22:08:53 EST 2002

Hi Fluf --

Organic scionwood would presumably be scionwood taken from trees under
organic management.

It's currently permissible to use conventionally produced planting stock
to produce an organic perennial crop, as long as the plants are under
organic management for at least a year before the first harvest that's
sold as organic; and as long as the variety is not available organically
grown. Certified producers are required to use organically grown
planting stock if the variety is "commercially available".  (What
exactly the USDA will turn out to mean by the phrase "commercially
available" is a matter of some concern.)

We've been required to use organically produced vegetable transplants
for annual crops for some years now (at least by NOFA-NY; the Federal
government is just now starting to enforce the USDA regulation).

Presuming that you're not selling crop or trees as organically grown,
you might not care. Scionwood from trees doing well under organic
management elsewhere might be better for organic production even if the
production isn't for sale, as it would show that the variety would do
well under those conditions. If you're not trying to grow organically,
then you probably don't care.

If the nursery is now selling as organically produced, they should be
able to name the certifier; at least if they're grossing over $5000.

I'd like to know what nursery this is. There's very little organically
grown planting stock out there.

-- Rivka