[NAFEX] Jujube Seeds - stratification

Horticulture Ventures hortventures at cox.net
Mon Nov 4 17:42:39 EST 2002

In my experience, seed of named jujube cultivars may not be viable, even
with stratification.

A grower in our areas uses seed set on suckers that emerge below the
graft union. Such seedling rootstock shoots are very thorny and produce
small fruit, but the seeds are 100% viable.

The grower places the seed in a vice and slowly squeezes the seed until
the hard covering cracks. As I recall, this seed will germinate
immediately if provided bottom heat is apply, even without previously
cold storage.

Claude Sweeet
San Diego, CA